Chairman's Report October 2023East Mayo Anglers' Association
East Mayo Anglers Association
Chairman’s Report October 2023
I hope this e-mail finds you well.
No doubt fishing tackle has been stored away until next spring.
The 2023 season was a year of some new records alas none pertaining to salmon
numbers but all weather related; the driest February, the wettest March, the hottest
June and the wettest July.
Ironically, the year that the club failed in attempts to introduce salmon conservation
measures was followed by very disappointing numbers of both spring salmon and grilse.
This lack of fish was seen throughout Ireland with very few exceptions.
Notable club news for 2023;
1) A youth event took place on 16 th August 2023. 59 eager youngsters were given
angling tuition and riverside education.
Many thanks to Barry Kelly and Steve Schrek of the I.F.I.
Dr. Brian Kennedy of the E.P.A.
Cian O’Boyle of “Fly-fishing and Tying “
David McClafferty of Dunfanaghy Anglers Association
Gary Smyth for the tasty barbecue
Many thanks also to the members of the club executive for organising this wonderful
event and giving their time and expertise so freely
2) The club organised the collection of unwanted fishing gear to be given to junior
3) The riverside bench project was completed and is a great benefit to the fishery
Many thanks to you all that sponsored a bench.
4) Congratulations to Ian Guegan on the capture and release of the first fish of the
season on 06.04.23 – approx 7.5lbs
5) Congratulations to Mr. Frank Sommer for the capture and release of the heaviest
salmon for the season, approx.14lbs
6) Grant-aided Biodiversity Plan:
7) Planting of fruit trees, to compliment the wildflower area and swallow nesting
boxes, near the disabled angling area
8) The commencement of the solar-powered Livestock Pasture Pumps project has
begun in consultation with the riparian landowners. These water troughs will replace the
decades old boulder constructed types which will be isolated and left to nature thus
creating mini-habitats for fish, plants, insects and wildlife
I wish to thank all the club executive, the two water-keepers; John and Jim, our General
Secretary; Kathleen for all the hard work, duty and diligence. A word of thanks to the
voluntary water keepers for their time during the season.
Thanks to the I.F.I. and the O.P.W. for the recent Straide river works.
Many thanks to the riparian land owners for their courtesy and patience.
A big thank you to our kind sponsors, please support them at every opportunity
1. Moy Group
2. Premier Wealth Management Antrim
3. Chadwicks Castlebar
4. Tiernan’s tackle shop Foxford
5. Ballina Angling Centre
6. Harcourt Technologies
7. Heneghan’s Pharmacy Kiltimagh
Finally, thank you to all members and visiting anglers to the club waters for your loyalty –
we hope to see you all healthy, hale and hearty in 2024.
East Mayo Angling Association